New to the Mediterranean diet or looking for heart-healthy recipes, here is a list of my top 6 favorite Mediterranean cookbooks!
Today I’m bringing you the best Mediterranean cookbooks – ones that you should definitely add to your healthy cookbook collection.
I’ll be the first to admit – I’m one of the worst offenders when it comes to cookbook obsessions. I read them in bed at night, I click through cooking e-books on my commute, I place holds on new releases at the library and there are always at least 10 cookbooks on my holiday wish list.
In fact, when I was out to dinner last week, I was reading a cookbook on my smart phone while we waited for a table and a waitress passed by exclaiming, “OMG I love my Kindle too, what are you reading!?” Busted. I replied quietly in a tiny embarrassed voice as if she had just exposed my dirty little secret “oh…well…ahem…you see…I…just…I’m looking at some…um..recipes in a..uh..cookbook….” Why did I feel the need to be weird about it? Lol. Do all cookbook junkies feel this way?
Anyways, back to Mediterranean cookbooks. I’m always on the lookout for heart-healthy cookbooks and Mediterranean cuisine in particular has as special place in my heart. Mediterranean recipes are filled with everything I love:
- Vegetables: especially tomatoes, artichokes, cucumber, garlic, red pepper, fennel
- Fruit: like pears, apricots, melon, figs, raisins
- Whole grains: the kind you cook in water on the stovetop – brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, polenta
- Lean protein: salmon, white fish, shrimp, chicken, lamb, beef, yogurt, chickpeas, lentils
- Fresh herbs: parsley, mint, basil, oregano
- Healthy fats: avocado, olive oil, olives, almonds, walnuts, pine nuts
So whether you are new to the Mediterranean diet, looking for some heart-healthy recipe inspiration or simply just looking for your next cookbook fix, below is a list of my favorite Mediterranean cookbooks:
- The Mediterranean Table by Sonoma Press – With recipes from a variety of Mediterranean countries, this cookbook brings together the best traditional culinary flavors in simple, easy-to-prepare healthy recipes that are perfect for any weekday night.
- Mediterranean Paleo Cooking by Caitlin Weeks, Nabil Boumrar and Diane Sanfilippo – This cookbook features recipes that are gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free as well as meal plans for both general health and for those following an autoimmune protocol.
- The Good Life! Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: Eat, Drink and Live a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle by Dorothy Calimeris, Eugenia Gianos, Constance Jones – Drawing from their Greek-American heritage, Dorothy shares heart-healthy recipes that use affordable and easy to find ingredients, and day-to-day practices of the people of the Mediterranean.
- The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook by The Editors at America’s Test Kitchen – From America’s most trusted test kitchen, this cookbook includes 600 recipes showcasing fresh, high-quality Mediterranean ingredients and extraordinary flavors.
- Ottolenghi The Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi – Famous London chef, Yotam Ottolenghi, brings together a collection of beautiful veggie-focused recipes inspired by the diverse culinary traditions of the Mediterranean.
- Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi – Bestselling cookbook authors Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamini do it again with this collection of inventive vegetable recipes from their home city of Jerusalem.
What are you waiting for? Get cooking! Check out more of my favorite cookbooks here.
More Food Blogger Cookbooks
- Best Vegetarian Cookbooks for Beginners (pictured below)
- Best Plant-Based Cookbooks
- Best Food Blogger Cookbooks
- Clean Eating Cookbooks you Need
- 9 Healthy Cookbooks You’ll Actually Use
- Oh She Glows Every Day Cookbook Review